Home    News    About Us    History    Statistics    Gallery    Fixtures    Admin   Juniors   Members    Links   Link Page  Weather



Election of Office Bearers for 2017

Honorary President:  Lord Aberdeen
Honorary Vice Presidents: Charlie Allan, Nigel Briggs, Dennis Pratt, Roger Bevan, Charlie Coulson & Mark Colley-Davies
Honorary Captain: Colin Addison

Chairman: Mark Woodhouse
Vice Chairman: Stuart Anderson
Treasurer: Liz Shepherd
Secretary: Jay Allan & Kate Brewer
Membership Secretary: Mark Colley-Davies
Match Secretary: Jay Allan
1st XI Team Captain: Steve Murphy
1st XI Team Vice Captain: Jamie Jones
2nd XI Team Captain: Rob Fryer
2nd XI Team Vice Captain: Grant Cordiner
Junior Coordinator: Jamie Jones
Child Protection Officer: Mark Colley-Davies
Groundsman: Charlie Coulson and Neil Purdie

Committee Members:
                                Bryan Carr 
                                Phil Cox
                                Tim Duffy


Official Sponsors


Match Reports: 2017

1st XI Conti:-
1XI Methlick vs 2nd XI Knight Riders

The visitors batted first and the swing of Murphy complimented the tight line and length of Veeresemsa who struck quickly bowling Nangia for 4. Ballal came in and started trying to hit everything out of the park. An edge looked imminent but it was a mix up between the two batsmen that saw him run out after an accurate throw from Murphy.

The Jones’ namesakes, Mark and Jamie, added their threat to the attack and wickets started to fall. Junior bowling at pace and Mark with accurate in-swingers taking four wickets between them. All of the Knightriders’ batsmen made starts but were all undone in the high teens and mid-twenties with none going on to make a challenging score. A few loose overs at the end set them up with a score of 167 all out; possibly around par for the conditions.

New boy Stark didn’t last long, being bowled by Veera for 7, but Stuart Anderson and Veeresema made full use of the good conditions and fast outfield. Anderson, visibly tiring, was run out just short of his half century for 47 in a partnership of 102. Veeresema went past his 50 but was caught on 53, but at this stage MCC were only 37 runs short with 16 overs left. The only blip was the run-out of Woodhouse, but Murphy (31 not out) and Junior Jones (13 not out) saw them comfortably over the line with 8 overs to spare.

Meanwhile in Aberdeen Methlick 2nd team faced an imposing 200 runs for victory. The Methlick top three batted fantastically with Rob Fryer scoring 66, Phillip Rice 47 and Brian Anderson 44 to bring the team home also with 8 overs to spare to make it a double for MCC.

By Mark Woodhouse


1XI Methlick vs Fraserburgh

Fraserburgh batted first with a very circumspect innings from Cory Bowie and Fraser Lawrence, taking the score on to a watchful 64 from 24 overs. Bowie managed to reach his half century until being bowled by Acton for 52 and Lawrence made 27 until Alan Hill took a catch from his own bowling. After that the home side had little to offer and Methlick wrapped the innings up for a modest 133 with the pick of the bowling from Acton with 4 for 20 and Murphy and Hill both pitching in with a couple.

With such a short boundary and a decent batting line up MCC were expected to wrap the game up without many problems. What happened was very different with none of the top five contributing, all being outdone by the slow pace and variable bounce. By the time the sixth wicket had fallen only 39 runs were on the board and the winning total seemed a long way away. Jamie Jones and Mike Bremenesen then came together and batted very sensibly with Jones punishing anything loose.

Victory seemed suddenly achievable as the pair took Methlick past the hundred-mark and Jones made his 50. With a win in their grasp Jones played one expansive shot too many and was caught for 59. Only 20 runs were needed and Bremenesen was looking comfortable until he managed, in his inimitable style, to run himself out for 26.

The tail then collapsed with the last three wickets falling for only 4 runs leaving Methlick short by 11 runs and frighteningly close to the bottom of Grade 2.

By Mark Woodhouse


1XI Methlick vs Gordonians

Methlick were looking to continue with the form from the bat after last week’s high scoring encounter at Lairds and consolidation at the top of the order was required to enable the big hitting middle order to come into play in the last 15 overs.

Woodhouse and Anderson opened the batting and with the warm and heavy atmosphere both bowlers were getting plenty of swing, requiring high levels of concentration. Gradually the two moved the score up past the 50 partnership mark and relied on sharp running between the wickets to move along at 3 runs per over. Eventually this brought the first wicket with Woodhouse pushing to square leg and Anderson unable to make his ground and was run out for 22.

This brought Murphy to the middle at a time when the opening bowlers were looking jaded and Murphy took full advantage, smashing his first scoring shot to the boundary for six. New bowlers came and went as Murphy continued to plunder runs, until one pull too many saw Murphy caught behind but not before he had completed an excellent 50 in his 8 overs.

Just 3 runs short of his 50 Woodhouse was given out LBW to a very shady decision by Anderson standing as umpire even though everyone heard the ball hit bat. Jamie Jones came in scoring a wildfire 12 with 3 boundaries, but it was the farmer, Addison, who topped off the innings, blasting away at the death for an unbeaten 46 to end the 40 overs on an imposing 217 for 6.

After the interval the Gordonians’ batsmen came out with all guns blazing on a wicket that seemed to have increased in pace.  Duffy and Murphy could do nothing to stem the flow as Mohit and Ahmit pushed the score along at over 6-an-over. Obviously pace needed to be taken off the ball and Addison and ex-Gordos, Marc Jones, were introduced into the attack and almost immediately Bremanesen took a steepling catch off Addison.

Praful went to Duffy starting his second spell and Woodhouse took a sharp catch from Jones to remove Jamil. When Duffy finally got Ahmit on 69 the scoring rate started to fall. At the 25 over mark Gordonians still need over 90 runs off the last 15, but Chamilla came in to keep them on track  as the rain started to fall. He finally went for 47 off Jamie Jones.

With one over left Gordonians needed 9 to win and with the rain teeming down Jones’s first ball was pulled for 4. Struggling to grip the ball his next delivery was a full-toss and Mathi slapped it to the boundary for 6 to win the game.

A disappointing finale for Methlick but another much improved batting and fielding performance to take them back to Fraserburgh for next Saturday’s Grade 2 game.

 By Mark Woodhouse


1XI Methlick vs Banchory

With regular opener Woodhouse sunning himself in Fife, Rob Fryer opened the innings with Stuart Anderson. Murphy had asked for 50 off the 1st 10 overs and whilst only 44 was posted at that stage both batsmen had now stated to attack the ball, which was flashing over the slick outfield. Anderson, in particular, rode his luck, consistently finding the fielder with less than secure hands. The first hundred came in the 16th over but with the score on 131 Anderson gave one chance to many and was caught for 76 off 50 balls. Murphy came to the crease and started slowly before unleashing some mighty blows. Fryer had also picked up the pace against a young bowling attack and passed his debut hundred with a lovely signature drive for 4. Murphy reached his half century off 40 balls caught in 2 minds where to smash a dipping full toss. The vice captain, Jamie Jones came in to join Fryer, albeit briefly, as 1 wicket brings to and Fryer was caught out for a splendid 109. Jones was castled for 22 by a decent ball and MCC had reached 292 for 4 at the end of their allotted overs. A super effort after previous batting performances from MCC.

After yet another splendid tea, thanks to Jean and Diane, work was still needed to take the 8 Banchory wickets required and Jamie Jones, charging down the slope, had Zac Crawley out for a duck caught at slip by a magnificent diving catch by debutant Marc Jones (no Relation!) keen to make an impression. Duffy, bowling his usual tight line accounted for the next 2 wickets until the veteran and obdurate Tim Wilkinson joined opener Hicks to put on the only substantial partnership of their innings. 62 was added to the score and whilst the MCC total was never in danger, wickets needed to be taken before beer could be! Hicks hit a tracer bullet drive, to the well placed Stuart Anderson at the steps boundary who held the catch off Maxfield whom had taken the brunt of the onslaught. The left arm spin of Marc Jones was introduced and he got Wilkinson out caught J Jones. The 2 young batsmen then got themselves in a bit of a running muddle and was easily run out by S Anderson. Next ball, Murphy- a very able deputy for Woodhouse behind the sticks- had a smart stumping. Ilham McHardy was given a bowl and in his 2nd over cleaned out the last man-Banchory all out 117. Duffy was the pick of the bowlers with a measly 15 for 2 of his allocated 10 overs helped by some 1st class fielding especially from youngsters Ilham and Grant Anderson.

A pleasing 30 points haul for the 1sts, the 2nds having a free week in Grade 4.
Next week brings the start of the Cup competitions with the 2nds away to Stonehaven 2nds and the 1sts make a quick return to Countesswells where we hope to overturn the league result V Gordonians

By Stuart Anderson

1XI Methlick vs Stoneywood-Dyce

Woodhouse and Anderson opened the batting against a decent amount of pace from the home attack with the ball skidding through nicely on to the bat. Starting to get his eye in, Woodhouse attempted to go over mid-off to an over-pitched delivery from Freeman but toe-ended the ball and was caught.

Veersema attempted an almost identical shot to the same bowler, holing out in the covers for his second consecutive duck. It seemed to be left to Anderson and Murphy who were playing with caution and making the most of any loose deliveries, and they managed to take the score up to the half century point.

Fourie came on to replace Grant, another left-arm bowler,  and struck in his second over as Anderson (23) was again deceived by a ball pitched well up, just as he seemed to be constructing a decent innings.

Murphy seemed to be on his way to another 50 with some clean-striking to the boundary as Jones came out to join him in the middle, but on 31 became Fourie’s second victim. At 65 for 4 MCC’s innings seemed to be faltering but Jones and Addison started to attack with some promise until Addison was clean bowled by Fourie.

The Stoneywood bowler made sure that the tail did not wag and, despite some resistance from Maxfield (19)who showed some aggression after a run-out mix up with Brian Anderson, polished off the last few wickets. Bremenesen was left undefeated for 8, Colley-Davies a Golden Duck LBW and Jay Allan was run-out for 1 to end the innings; Fourie the stand-out bowler with 6 for 35 from his 9 overs.

After tea a very aggressive innings from Steinson removed any hope for a quick breakthrough for Methlick and quickly reached 41 until the extra pace and bounce from Jones saw him top-edge a catch to Woodhouse behind the stumps. Maxfield was the only other wicket taker when an easy full toss was gently lifted to Jones.

By then the score was already in the seventies and the Stoneywood batsmen saw the innings out quite comfortably from only 22 overs to leave Methlick one place from bottom of grade 2 after two defeats. It’s too early in the season to draw any conclusions yet but elsewhere in the Grade the scores have also been rather low. So it’s up to the batsmen to sort themselves out in the nets and provide a sterner test for the opposition bowling.

Unfortunately for the 2nd XI, Bogbeth Park was deemed too wet after a very dry week and the game against Kemnay was cancelled, depriving the players of some much wanted action.

 By Mark Woodhouse

1XI Methlick vs Arrowdawn Gordonians

At the other end the youthful Cameron showed some pace but lack of accuracy helped get Anderson off to a good start with a couple of boundaries. All was looking pretty straightforward until Anderson playing to extra cover called Woodhouse for a suicidal run and was well out. Not a good start for the new chairman.

New Aussie signing, Adam Veersama, came in at 3 after having had an excellent knock at Elgin during pre-season warm-up. After 5 well-targeted deliveries from Shaikh he missed a straight one and was clean bowled for a duck.

Murphy entered the fray and fared little better exposing his leg-stump to Shaikh and was bowled for 2. He was followed by ex-Gordonian, Jamie Jones, who after a very circumspect start began to find his feet and punished anything wide, albeit looking a little rusty in the timing division. The pair brought the innings back on track and reached 50 until Anderson was bowled through the gate by Pandit for a decent 37.

Veteran Addison was the next to go cheaply for 7 and when Mark Murphy was bowled for a duck, the total was looking very unimpressive at 67 for 6.

Tim Duffy came to the middle and looked accomplished, spanking some straight drives to the boundary, but just as things started to look positive, Jones was bowled by Singh for 22. Duffy was quick to follow for 12 and after all-rounder, Mark Colley-Davies, was plumb LBW for another duck all hope in reaching 100 seemed lost.

A rear-guard action from Deni Sarafimoski, who was particularly belligerent reaching 16, and Veera Mani Mani (6 NO) managed to provide some hope giving a target of 116 to defend.

After tea Duffy with his accurate medium pace in-swingers opened alongside the more orthodox seam of Veersama. Methlick’s spirits were raised when captain Shaikh nudged one from Duffy off his pads to fine leg only to see Woodhouse take the catch.

Mohit and Das looked more comfortable and moved the score on to 46 without many problems, going at a decent pace of 4-an-over.  Jones then struck to remove Mohit and almost immediately Duffy got his second, clean bowling Das.

Perera also looked settled but Jones struck again but any thoughts of a dramatic collapse were dismissed by Pandit who was trying, and sometimes succeeding, to hit everything a long way.

His innings came to an abrupt end when some terrible calling between himself and Goulding led to him being easily run out for 22. Another wicket in the next over gave Veersama his first for Methlick and some concern for the home side when Jones removed Porter without scoring leaving 8 down for 100, still 17 runs behind. Only the young boy Samuel seemed to be between Methlick and victory, but his fantastic defensive skills and some decent hitting from Godson in the face of the Methlick attack took them over the line.

So after the first outing an indifferent batting performance from Methlick left them 25 runs short of posting a winnable total. Decent performances with the ball from Duffy who took 2 wickets from his 10 overs at only 27, and Jones- 3 for 36, were not enough to overcome Gordonians. A better performance at Stoneywood next Saturday is called for.

Meanwhile, at Lairds a similar story was unfolding with Methlick 2nds reduced to one less than the first team, being all out for 115 with Alastair Smith top scoring with 36 and captain, Rob Fryer, pitching in with 23. Turriff managed to top this but only after the 8th wicket pair put on 40 runs. Brian Anderson took 3 for 22 and Brian Carr 2 for 25.

A poor start from both teams but plenty of weeks ahead to catch up.

By Mark Woodhouse

2nd XI Conti:-

Copyright Methlick Cricket Club 2009 Site queries only: Web Host