The whole match against Aberdeen Grammar FPs centred around two outstanding performances. One from the bat of Stuart Anderson, recording his second ever century with a massive 162 not out, and the other from Allan Hill taking 6 for 19 to destroy any hopes that Grammar had of getting anywhere near to  the total set by Methlick.

With yet another steamy Aberdeen Saturday, Methlick’s skipper Duffy opted to bat on winning the toss to have the home side bake under the sun, and have to defend a never-seen-before spectacle of a Rubislaw outfield baked to a snooker table-like slickness.

Anderson and Woodhouse opened the batting for MCC and the scene was set as Woodhouse beat the field on two occasions in the Poolman’s first over and the ball raced away to the boundary. While he kept the more accurate Poolman occupied, Anderson made hay against the quickly tiring Farham and the youngster, Ali, punishing both with consecutive overs going for 16 and 24.

Methlick had reached 76 after only 11 overs and took a quick drinks break and, as often happens, a wicket falls as Woodhouse tried to pull the first ball after the return across the line and was bowled by Poolman. Bremanesen, coming in at three, quickly followed caught off Poolman for 3.

Any possibility of a collapse abated as Addison supported Anderson as he continued onwards, plundering boundaries and keeping the scoring rate at 6-an-over. The partnership ended when Addison was caught off Eagles for 23 but the paiir had put on another 53 runs.

Duffy came in and put on another  50 run partnership as Anderson brought up his inevitable century and Methlick approached the two hundred mark with 12 overs still to go. Jamie Jones opened his account with a 6 but it was all about feeding the strike to the centurion and Anderson pushed on for his “3 jug” 150.

Jones went for 19 with the score on 234 and it was just about how much the tiring Anderson and Paul Macdonald could squeeze out of the last 5 overs as the pair finished unbeaten for 271. Anderson scored a chanceless 162. It was also nice to see four partnerships all around the 50 mark.

After tea Grammar set about trying to reach the psychologically monumental target, but Eagles and Johnston also found the quick outfield to their liking and were able to push the scoring on, but not at the rate required.  After 18 overs Duffy and Cordiner had failed to make a breakthrough and the batsmen had moved the score on to 61. Even the miserly Addison went for two boundaries in his first over before tightening things up.

The first wicket to fall was Johnston who had already survived a close decision two balls earlier, but this time there was nothing to save him as Addison had him LBW for 26. Almost immediately he then had Bali, also LBW, without scoring.

Alan Hill then came on to replace Cordiner with his right arm swing and his accurate first two overs only went for one run. Eagles had proved difficult to dislodge despite being dropped twice, but it was Hill that made the breakthrough as the batsman became the third wicket in the space of three runs.

Hill now scented blood and quickly removed Winstanley for a duck and three balls later Farhan for 3. When Goodenough was bowled in the next over that gave the bowler four wickets in three overs for four runs.

Duffy came back on to mop up the tail with two wickets, but it was Hill getting the last two victims to give himself  fine figures of 6 for 19 off his 10 overs on a particularly high scoring pitch.

Grammar ended up all out for 86 losing 10 wickets for 24 runs giving Methlick an easy victory by 185 runs with the tremendous contribution from Stuart Anderson. It was nice to see four partnerships around the 50 mark.

By Mark Woodhouse